Personal Training Dilemma

Female Forum Forums Category Related Discussion Health & Diet Personal Training Dilemma

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Jayceefit 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hi Folks,

So I have been a part time personal trainer for 5 years now. Until now, I only took on 2-3 clients at any one time because I really like focusing on just a few people at a time.

I’ve decided in recent months that I wanted to start doing more, particularly with online coaching.

I’m quite ambitious and I really want to start doing online group challenges. The plans that I have in mind will include prizes and rewards etc, so for obvious reasons, I need to have a minimum number of people joining the programmes…this in itself requires a large social media standing, a large number of online testimonials (mine were always written, whereas now people prefer to see before/after photos), and a significant amount of money set aside for the prizes and rewards.

So, at the moment, I have been taking on more online clients…and therein lies my problem. A lot of people just don’t want to pay money for plans anymore. They want a quality plan for free or for next to no money…I try to make my plans affordable, but at the end of the day, I could spend 12 solid hours putting together a customised programme for somebody.

My long term aim IS to make make plans affordable by going down the route of creating group plans and challenges, which will allow me to reduce my prices significantly…but for now, it isn’t feasible.

My dilemma:

So in order to make my plans a reality, i have 2 choices…

-Reduce prices and take the hit financially in order to improve my social media following and attract more clients? (There’s always a large risk of non-conforming clients if plans are cheap- that’s another downside! There’s also the risk that people won’t take you seriously if you charge too little)

-Stick to my prices, knowing that the clients I get will be serious about their goals, accept that I will probably have less clients, and just hope my social media following and number of clients will increase eventually?

What do you girls think? Would you pay for a PT or online training programme?

Sorry that was a bit long winded!

• This topic was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by  Jayceefit.

I think I would try not to reduce prices as it would be very difficult to raise them again. Could you have and introductory offer stating clearly what the regular price is?

If you charge per class perhaps you could offer a slightly reduced rate for a block booking or a free class if someone introduces a friend?

Jayceefit,

Hmm because I’m really unsure what say to all of this.  Since I for one I’m in the middle on all of this.  At the same time please don’t be sorry long it was.

I agree with Lindylo.

Is there another part of the training that you can offer at a discounted price, like diet meal sample or yearly website meal plan access?

I would keep premium product rate for the full training it is hard to get your numbers back up and like you already mentioned you want serious customers.

I agree with the previous replies. I think that reducing the prices would make things look like a budget service. I have constantly heard over the years that many small businesses do not charge enough and end up doing little better than breaking even with long working hours. You are (probably) wanting to setup, what is seen as, a top rate service rather than a packaged product.

What research have you done? What is the opposition doing, and what can you find out about their probelms and ways of dealing with them. There is help available for small businesses, although I have no first hand experience and don’t know details (beware of private help that will take an unhealthy interest in your money though). There will be guidance about for the best ways of businesses using the net. Your market of top rate clients is there. You need to locate them and target your advertising.

Personally I don’t use online services, although I suppose my OU degree would count as it was a combination of distance learning with some face to face contact. Maybe trying to get the personal touch in with some personal contact, if feasible, or Skype if not? You need to project the image of quality service that’s worth paying for. Having people think that the online bit is part of a complete package rather than a (what some people would think as they just see a screen) computer generated plan would make a big difference.

Incentives are a useful tool, but I would personally use as teasers rather than (for instance) making them a nightmare to navigate like the supermarkets do.

All great inputs, gals, thanks! I think an introductory offer is a fab idea…I think that is something I will consider.

I think a big issue for me is the marketing side of things…I have a lot to learn in terms of promoting myself, especially on the social media side of things.

I can image creating a business plan that is right for you and your customers is the hardest job. Social media aspect is more of having a presence and high quality content.

All sounds like you are on a great path! Please keep us posted on how things are developing 🙂

What is the opposition doing, and what can you find out about their probelms and ways of dealing with them. 

This is great advice on researching your competition then figuring out what makes you different.

I don’t have any advice as to what you should do but do keep us updated on your business venture! It is very exciting.

a business plan that is right for you and your customers is the hardest job. Social media aspect is more of having a presence and high quality content.

Thanks, girl! 🙂 You can see our updates on our page facebook.com/rocketfitnessplans

I’ve been writing a lot of blog posts etc too, even just to try and educate a bit 🙂

(Hope it’s ok to post that link, admins, promise i’m not trying to sell anything!)

My only suggestion would be this — don’t compete on price. Compete on quality.

My only suggestion would be this — don’t compete on price. Compete on quality.

Thanks Martin, that’s a definite with me. I put a lot of effort into my plans. I like people to feel like they have gotten more than what they paid for.

You can see our updates on our page facebook.com/rocketfitnessplans 

Interesting page. Things look good, and if I was in the market I would certainly give you consideration. I think the only thing I noticed which did confuse me a bit was the messy presentation of photos in Allphotos (as distinct from albums). That is maybe just Facebook and there may be no easy way to improve presentation, but the rest of your layout is slick in comparison.

You can see our updates on our page facebook.com/rocketfitnessplans

Interesting page. Things look good, and if I was in the market I would certainly give you consideration. I think the only thing I noticed which did confuse me a bit was the messy presentation of photos in Allphotos (as distinct from albums). That is maybe just Facebook and there may be no easy way to improve presentation, but the rest of your layout is slick in comparison.

Yeah unfortunately there is no way to hide the ‘all photos’ even though I have everything put into individual albums.

It’s a shame, as it does look quite haphazard

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!