Potential Online Scam?

Female Forum Forums General Discussion In the News Potential Online Scam?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  SpinningJen 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I accessed am ASDA online shopping page. OK, it seemed all legit. But there were a few red flags:

1. The word “received” was mis-spelt with “recieved”. That may seem trival, but a major supermarket mis-spelling such an easy word to write sounds dodgy to me.
    2. Also, they had a WorldPay box that I re-typed my card details in and it said “there was trouble with your payment: please re-type.” I foolishly did this 3 times before becoming suspicious.
    3. The amount was $27 for an ASDA gift card.
    4. The box next said “transaction pending”
    5. I logged onto the website again, using Google and tried logging in. The server did not recognise my email address. And I am very, very careful when typing out an email. The real deal – the second ASDA I tried logging into simply stated I was not registered with them.
    6. I checked my Internet banking and that did not register a transaction either.

Do I have to worry? Is it possible these scammers have gotten my details and could scam me further? I am very worried and feel really dumb. I thought it was the genuine ASDA website. Have I been fooled?

How did you access it?  Through an email link?  Through a typo in the address?  (There is such a thing as typosquatting.)  Your browser’s history should provide some clue.  If it is, indeed a fake site, then you probably need to put some sort of fraud alert on your card.  You also need to be very mindful of future emails.  If they have your email address, they can send you more spam and/or fraudulent links.

These sort of things often happen with genuine sites so may not be a scam but you do need to investigate.

Many people accidently spell ‘received’ wrong so that is not so much an issue. I often have to recite the verse ‘I before e except after c’ but there are exceptions which confuse things.

A point to note is that a card transaction may not show straight away on your card. I often check if I am unsure as my card was hacked a few years ago (or more correctly I think a site I bought from was hacked). It does take a day or so.

On a number of occasions I have been on genuine sites which are not really setup well (even major concerns) or my computer is behaving badly. More than once I have just shutdown mid transaction, re-started everything and found things worked perfectly the second time.

The final point I would note is that, due to the new lockdown measures, I think far more people are accesing suppliers online again so their resouces and online traffic capacity may be somewhat pushed.

I have re-registered with ASDA and changed my password. This means ASDA are now aware of my account with them and will spot unusual activity, if that situation arises.

Thank you all for your advice: it has helped. I don’t agree about spelling “received” wrong, though: and I don’t mean that nastily, SpinningJen. I do think a major brand and supermarket like ASDA would simply never allow such an error to be made on a major website. It doesn’t make sense. The writer would’ve been checked by the website designers and all that gubbins. No: I see a red flag every time I see such an obvious error.

Anyhow, there has been no activity in my bank account. My bank is strict with their rules and security. I can’t say whom I bank with, but I will say they are one of the best.

Thank you all for your advice: it has helped. I don’t agree about spelling “received” wrong, though: and I don’t mean that nastily, SpinningJen. I do think a major brand and supermarket like ASDA would simply never allow such an error to be made on a major website. It doesn’t make sense. The writer would’ve been checked by the website designers and all that gubbins. No: I see a red flag every time I see such an obvious error.

I know what you mean Kitty and you are right but I see this particular one so often. You are totally justified though in that one of the best ways to spot a scam coming from foreign places (for instance) is that the English spelling and grammar are poor. I do find though that I myself do tend to get a bit dyslexic at times and often post online without noticing until later. In that way a single mistake of that nature would flag my attention for investigation but not automatically condem the site. Some of the others that are seen are far more obvious as major errors. Those in grammar for instance.

1 member liked this post:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!