Reading: Like or Dislike?

Female Forum Forums Category Related Discussion Hobbies & Leisure Reading: Like or Dislike?

This topic contains 26 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  KitKatKitty 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

I LOVE reading. I have read 100’s and 100’s of back issues of Cosmo and other women’s magazines. I also have been reading novels for years and years. I always go to the library to borrow and read a pile of books.

My mother also read a lot. In fact, that’s where I got my passion from. I could not live without books and magazines. My favourite magazines are “Good Housekeeping” and “Woman & Home”. I also liked “Company” and “Glamour”. I had been a magazine junkie!

Anyhow, what about you? Your thoughts on women’s magazines? Do you always read books? Can you give or take the classic novel?

I don’t read magazines much these days as books are comparitively cheaper and many magazine type of articles are available online. I have accumulated a large pile of fictional books to read. Our local book exchange is very good, so I have swopped out many of my old ones.

I have never read womens mags (except at the doctor/dentist etc) I find them so conflicting. One page says believe in yourself, the next says lose weight quick. Then theres how to be a natural beauty next to make up adverts .. Crash diet after crash diet fill the pages along with photos of stick thin models in thick makeup who look like they need a darn good bath and a square meal.

I find them to   drive consumption.. this is the new scent/shoe/dress/bag must have.

My favourite two  to leaf through at the doctors are a home design one, which is very upmarket but has some lovely design ideas that could be converted to high street price ranges and one called Noorderland (the north lands) whioch has stories and features from our northern counties and is  a bit like farmers weekly as adverts for sheep ponies and tractors fill the small ad pages.

I remember ‘Farmers Weekly’ here as my father used to get it when we were little. I grew up in a farming community and am not too far distant now so I would still have a look if I came across one.

I grew up with magazines:

1. Cosmopolitan
    2. Marie Claire
    3. Company
    4. Sugar
    5. Just 17
    6. Cosmo Girl
    7. Glamour
    8. Woman & Home
    9. Good Housekeeping

I have always loved magazines. In fact, I fell in love with them as a teenager. I shall always have fond memories of the old style of Cosmo. They wrecked that magazine. It is a real shame. It used to have loads to read in it: now all it has are adverts. Cosmo lost its soul.

I’m a reader, I’m interested in many things and read my fair share of books and magazines. I subscribe to Country Living, Mother Earth News, Herb Quarterly and Mother Jones.

1 member liked this post:

I am reading “The Barrytown Trilogy” by Roddy Doyle ATM. I have read “The Committments” and “The Snapper”. I am onto the last story in the trilogy “The Van”.  I finished reading “The Snapper” last night, on the sofa.

I must say I really enjoy these stories. Roddy Doyle is pretty good. I am a huge fan.

Anyhow, if you’re interested, do give the book a read. The stories are ace.

I remember browsing READERS DIGEST at my local surgery or dentist and found them entertaining. So long ago now I wonder what happened to them.

I remember browsing READERS DIGEST at my local surgery or dentist and found them entertaining. So long ago now I wonder what happened to them.

Was that the little paperback book sized things? I think my mum used to get them..  They actually had some very good articles in them.

I remember “Reader’s Digest” very well, as I had a subscription to it. Nowadays I subscribe to “Good Housekeeping” but Reader’s Digest had been a very informative magazine. It appealed to both genders, too. A great loss to the magazine and general publications’ world.

I have read “The Van”: the last instalment in the Roddy Doyle “Barrytown Trilogy”. Those 3 stories are great and I really enjoyed reading them. If you’re interested in the book, then why not download it onto a kindl or borrow it from the library?

A good read.

Reader’s Digest is still around.

https://www.rd.com/

4 users liked this post:

That’s good news! I had no idea Reader’s Digest was still in circulation. Again great news.

Reader’s Digest is completeley different but almost in the same boat as National Geographic. Yet another stalwart of Doctor’s surgeries.

I hardly dare mention the title of the book I have just finished reading as it would probably be banned now, for the title,  although by a top author and Ok for 1939 when it was published: Agatha Christie – ‘Ten Little Niggers’. It is a crime drama with no direct racial theme, characters or attacks, just the attitude of the times which would obviously not be tolerated now. I read these old crime novels, with hers being stereotypical of the times.

Reader’s Digest is completeley different but almost in the same boat as National Geographic. Yet another stalwart of Doctor’s surgeries.

I hardly dare mention the title of the book I have just finished reading as it would probably be banned now, for the title, although by a top author and Ok for 1939 when it was published: Agatha Christie – ‘Ten Little Niggers’. It is a crime drama with no direct racial theme, characters or attacks, just the attitude of the times which would obviously not be tolerated now. I read these old crime novels, with hers being stereotypical of the times.

Wow do you actually have the book with the title of ten little niggers? Its very rare now, the title was changed for the USA to  ‘and then there were none’ in 1940 when it was made into a film .. and in the Uk the title was eventually,  changed to ten little injuns (although that is also now a non PC title) so most copies are sold under the US title.

I have about 60 of her novels..Including the one above although mine has the US title.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  cassandra.

The book I have may well be rare Cassandra as it’s seldom mentioned. After reading it I was not sure whether I had read it before, but it may be under the different title. My copy, I got from the local book exchange, is a 1973 seventeenth impression so, as not a first edition, not valuable I don’t think. It may be one of the last though as it even shows a gollywog on the cover. It is a paperback.

I am now reading Georges Simenon – ‘Maigret and the Ghost’. The first two stories in this were originally written only a little bit later (1940’s) so it will be interesting to compare.

2 users liked this post:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!