Home » Topics » General Discussion » In the News » some news from across the pond

some news from across the pond

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

parent of the year?. I think not..

LEAD STORY — Parent of the Year

Jose Manuel Navarrete, 25, is being held on $100,000 bond on suspicion of child endangerment in the San Diego Central jail after he carried his 2-year-old

daughter into the elephant habitat at the San Diego Zoo on March 19, the Associated Press reported. Navarrete allegedly wanted to take a picture with the

African bull elephant, police said, and evaded multiple barriers to enter the enclosure. Witness video shows one of the elephants charging the two trespassers

and Navarrete briefly dropping the toddler before picking her up and getting her to safety. “He runs, throws his baby through the gate and it’s seconds

from hitting him,” said witness Jake Ortale. “People were just mad at this guy.” [Associated Press, 3/20/2021]

People are just beyond stupid.

a couple of years ago some tourists in the Netherlands got out of their car at a safari park and started to have a picnic in the cheetah enclosure.

https://nltimes.nl/2018/05/11/family-escapes-cheetah-attack-dutch-safari-park-video

I’ve been around cats: and love them. But – when angered or hungry – they are vicious. Their claws sharpen and their fur rises. You don’t want to anger a cat: let alone eat your picnic in their territory. Even small cats can make nasty foes.

Those tourists in the Netherlands had a lucky escape.

I find that cats of all kinds are intelligent but very selfish. Cheetah’s are graceful animals and seem to be trainable but they are capable of inflicting great harm.  An interesting video Cassandra. I don’t know the language but it sounded very ‘anglo-saxon’ at times and was recognisable. Zoos and safari parks are strange places. I remember at one when I was younger and with my parents. Monkeys were playing all over the car in front. A rhino seemed peaceful grazing beside the road but you could see it was not something to argue with. Tourists do silly things!

[quote quote=229721]I find that cats of all kinds are intelligent but very selfish. Cheetah’s are graceful animals and seem to be trainable but they are capable of inflicting great harm. An interesting video Cassandra. I don’t know the language but it sounded very ‘anglo-saxon’ at times and was recognisable. Zoos and safari parks are strange places. I remember at one when I was younger and with my parents. Monkeys were playing all over the car in front. A rhino seemed peaceful grazing beside the road but you could see it was not something to argue with. Tourists do silly things!

[/quote]

The language was Dutch ( not very politie) Dutch German English and Danish all seem connected and often if you know one well you can follow the others ..

It seems that it isnt rare to behave stupidly around wild animals there are videos from all over the world showing people getting out of cars trying to stroke lions etc… Madness and a total lack of respect

I don’t know if people have become more stupid in the last 30 years, or it’s just that we hear about these things more often.

I remember visiting Yellowstone Park in 1987.  I snapped a great picture of a buffalo…safely while seated in the back seat of the car.  Never, in a million years, would I have gotten out of the car to take a photo, much less turned my back on it for a selfie!  I don’t know how many people have been killed or injured for doing just that!

I also remember seeing a man with a tripod in a field, camera aimed at a baby moose.  We didn’t stick around for mama moose to return.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!