Strange people online

Female Forum Forums General Discussion Just for Fun Strange people online

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  cassandra 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Please feel free to add your own to this but this is my latest encounter with the online community..

Truly WTF …
    I bought a dog crate for my car because George has the tendency to howl and eat the window winders..
    Its for both the dogs but Murphy looked at it and said no way.. he just backed up and has refused to go in. Weve tried all sorts of things, had it left open, threw some cookies in (george scoffed the lot) threw his ball in (he laid on the floor and stared at it willing it to come back) so after 10 days I decided to cut my losses and re-sell it.
    I put up some good photos and an accurate description. Including measurements.
    Then I get the people contacting me… will my dog fit in it?
    I have no idea, what type of dog is it? Is it taller than the crate if so it wont fit..
    Oh yeah , didnt think of that..
    Hi can I buy your crate?
    Yep sure
    Will it fit in my car?
    What car do you have?
    She names a thing not much more than a glorified rollarskate..
    No it wont
    A woman , hi how big is the crate?
    The measurements are on the photo..
    Oh yeah so they are..Do you think a sheep would fit in it?
    errr depends how big the sheep is but yeah I guess so..
    Ok I think I would like to buy it..
    15 minutes later
    Sorry I dont think it will be suitable because the sheep piss a lot and this crate might not be waterproof..
    So I add instructions to the advert..
    *Please take a tape measure and measure your car and your dog. Make sure it fits your car and dog before offering to buy.
    This crate will not fit on the back of your bike, your ford fiesta, your VW beetle or your mini.
    You dog will only fit in it if the dog is not taller than the crate itself.. So a beagle , corder collie , dalmation or lab will fit but your great dane , or Irish wolfhound will not..Nor is it suitable for live stock.*
    A guy contacts me.. Can I buy the crate?
    Yeah sure have you measured your car?
    Yep its a good fit..
    ok,
    I wait in for him…He arrives
    He offers the crate to his car and of course it doesnt fit he has only measured the very tallest part of the roof space not the edges ..
    Oh dear it wont fit
    No kidding…
    The people of Holland should  be happy that gun laws here are very very strict…
    Is it just me or does anyone else get this kind of craziness when buying selling or interacting with people online?

<!–more–>

<!–more–>

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  cassandra.
    2 users liked this post:

Oh my! That is one reason why I have not tried to sell anything online Cassandra. Your post would make a good advert as think I can visualise the crate pretty well from what you have written. The only thing I don’t is whether it is a cage, which I have seen here, or a solid sided box, obviously with vents / peep holes (more like a large version of the cat boxes you can get).

Hi Cassandra, I like Jen do not sell things online as things can be awkward with some people, although the comments and requests you have had  do seem over the top. There are indeed strange people about.

@spinningjen  the crate is part wood and part aluminium nice big doors at the front and little ‘windows’ all round.. I took nice clear photos from all sides and inclued one from the makers which had measurements from every angle…

Its intended to fit in a car boot (big car) but it could be used int he home or at the camping etc..

People just see the 1st photo and think I want it… then think about how they will fit it in their car..

Mind you it could be worse my daughter was selling part of her shoe collection lots of high heels that she never worn ( shame on her some had never been out of the boxes) one person asked if she could supply photos of her wearing the shoes.

Yukky!

This may sound a little harsh, but I think people’s attention spans have gotten much shorter.  In this day and age of Twitter and the 280-character tweets, there’s no interest in reading beyond that.

Assuming they’ve gotten so far as to read the measurements, why is it up to you to determine where this thing fits?!  That, for me, is the real head-scratcher!  At least, the one guy got out a tape measure!  Too bad he didn’t calculate how to get it into the intended spot.

Some people are strange, but that is also true IRL.

I do sell my books online – via Lulu.com and United P.C – but they are major companies and are professional with their marketing. I would never sell anything in another format. Always go through a company. And if that company is shoddy, don’t use them again. There must be proper protocols when selling. Private selling is a bad idea: I would not do it myself. Again, always go through a company that deals with the admin themselves.

There are other selling and company opportunities via Amazon. Sophie Howard has been selling for Amazon and now has earnt millions from her Amazon business. I won’t do that business myself BUT it is a good way to make a profit. There are lots of ways to make money online. But going through a famous – and professional – company like Amazon is best. Even if you’re only selling a book and CD.

DON’T sell items privately.

In general that may be true Kitty but, taking something like ebay which provides the structure for both private and business sales, there are small private sellers just selling the odd item and also big businesses presenting a shop front on another portal with all levels inbetween. The only issue I see with ebay is that a buyer can make a complaint and it is mostly that the seller loses out. It does have problems with item description though, in fact, these being the main complaint as some sellers mis-represent goods deliberatly.

2 users liked this post:

In general that may be true Kitty but, taking something like ebay which provides the structure for both private and business sales, there are small private sellers just selling the odd item and also big businesses presenting a shop front on another portal with all levels inbetween. The only issue I see with ebay is that a buyer can make a complaint and it is mostly that the seller loses out. It does have problems with item description though, in fact, these being the main complaint as some sellers mis-represent goods deliberatly.

I think we have all seen the story about the lady who bought a lovely persian rug the photos looked perfect and the description was good.. But when it arrived it was a rug for a dolls house!

Amazon isnt any good when selling the odd secondhand item and many websites have replaced the old card in a shop window system. But I think many people have unreal expectations either of what their item is worth or what they will get from an item thats been used and is sold for a few pounds.

1 member liked this post:

i went through the same thing when i tried to sell some vampire books on a buy, sell, trade on Facebook. first the lady said she wanted it but wanted to know if i could wait till she got paid on friday. i was like ok. friday comes and she can’t do it. next lady in line says she’ll let me know. i never heard from her. another lady thought she was first in line and was mad cuz she didn’t get first crack. i finally left the group.

cassandra, I have had mainly positive experiences with amazon

only 2 negative ones

the first, was a cd sent from the amazon warehouse directly (not an indipendent seller) with coke all over the surface, and scratched too badly for playback

the second was a dvd that promised to be region 2, but I got it and it was region 4

so could never play it

Sometimes the line between strange and downright dishonest is a very narrow one.

Today I went to look at some winter tyres that were already on the set of rims, laziness I suppose we didn’t really want to have to get the tires and rims then have to fit them.

so the guy said ‘ I have these rims that are really good the tires were only used for a couple of months and then I changed my car’  ok that can happen but he wanted top Dollar for them so we made an offer and he accepted…

But when we went to look he pulled one tyre on its rim from a shed (we didnt even see the other three) it was worn to four and a half mm which is damn near the legal limit for a winter tyre here. plus there were obvious stress spots where he had spun the wheels or braked really really hard so far from these being the almost brand new tires that he advertised this one (probably the best of the lot ) was almost illegal worn out and to be honest a bit on the dangerous side to be using as a winter tyre Lord knows what the other three might have looked like!  strange maybe , dishonest yes.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  cassandra.

That’s bad Cassandra. I have never used winter tyres but I remember from my experiences of working in the winter (I used to travel all over our local counties and invariably had home visits to make when the snow was laying) that a few mm of tread can make a major difference. With new ordinery tyres most of the conditions we find here would not be a problem and in ice tyres would probably need to be studded to make a difference anyway.

@spinningjen In the UK we never used winter tyres and its flat here so you might think its a nonsense but in Belgium France and Germany its a legal requirement as of Nov 1st or earlier if weather is bad winter tyres must be on the cars . Because we cross the borders regularly we always have them but many people do it here because our local roads are used by farm traffic and mud+rain+frost is lethal and any extra grip is welcome.

Im now undecided between goodyear ultragrip and continetal winter tyres but I will look up test results and order this week..

1 member liked this post:
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!