Television then and now

Female Forum Forums General Discussion General Chat Television then and now

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  kezflake 11 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

What do you think of programes on the box these days? Do you think that telly is better now, or back when we were kids?

I remember good old classic British sitcoms like Fawlty Towers, and Love Thy Neighbour. The Goodies, Bless this House, Robins Nest, The Liver Birds.

We also had classics like Tales of the Unexpected and Armchair Thriller. Good old cop shows like The Sweeney with the late great John Thaw and Dennis Waterman. And of course the greatest overseas cop show of all time, Starsky and Hutch.

Comparing then, to now, how would you rate the telly? Don,t forget that was all before the invention of satelite telly. Incredible really isn,t it?

If we didn,t have Sky now, I don,t think I,d watch telly atall. I,d probably get rid of it.

Even kids programes back then were better with things like Magic Roundabout, The Herbs, Rubarb and Custard, The Clangers, Trumpton, The Woodentops. (I,m showing my age here lol) :lol:.

What do you lot think? Better then, or now?

Hmmm I think older TV seems to have been a lot more original. It seems like stuff these days is just made to sell tv ads – look at all the fly on the wall documentaries. That being said, there is still a lot of good stuff that comes out – the things is we always look back at older stuff with fond memories. I am sure in ten years we will be saying wasn’t telly in the ‘noughties’ so much better than now.

Just the way it goes.

I will say kids TV was way better back in the 80s compared to now. There is nothing anywhere near as good as thundercats, button moon or rainbow on these days!

Em

TV now is just one gigantic advertisement. I feel like I”m being brainwashed everytime I turn it on! haha

I love watching older shows, somehow they seem more real to me- even when they are less realistic- they are more … real.

I haven’t heard of most of those… I do like Fawlty Towers, though. 🙂

I think in a lot of cases my memory of the old shows makes them better than what we have today. Often times going back and rewatching them makes me wonder what I ever saw in them. LOL! But there are some that are in syndication that I watch and think they just don’t make TV like that anymore. The Cosby Show is one that really comes to mind for that.

I must say, though, that I vastly prefer the new Doctor Who. I’m still fond of the old series and will rewatch it now and then but it does seem to drag on and on.

Michelle

I have noticed it the adverts last forever now I have sky+ and can hardly bare to watch tv live now as some add breaks are about 10 minutes long.

Ever noticed if you buy a box set a show will last about 30 – 40 minutes weras on the telly its stretched out over an hour?

I dont really rember much from early tv but I do like watching the old star trek shows and I find it annoying that kids tv is all cgi now as if that atomaticly makes it good.

I love British comedies and watch them at every opportunity.

Yes I hate all the adverts too although they do give you a chance to make a cuppa or have a toilet break 😛

Yes I hate all the adverts too although they do give you a chance to make a cuppa or have a toilet break 😛

Thats what the pause button is for 😆

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!