The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn

Female Forum Forums Category Related Discussion Hobbies & Leisure The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  KitKatKitty 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

By Mark Twain.

I read this a few days ago: and loved it! It is such a great story. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It was published in 1885, but has stood the test of time. I took a long time to read and absorb the story: and am so glad I did.

It is an exciting story and definitely with lots of drama. I will read it again, there is no doubt of that in my mind. I also think you guys should give it a read. One word of warning, though: there is the word n*gger in it. However, you do have to remember this was 1800’s America, so things were different then. It doesn’t make it right, but that’s how things were. If you are black  then you’d be a little offended BUT if you read the whole story, you’ll see how it all works out.

Give Huckleberry Finn a read! Then start onto “The Great Gatsby” which I read in its entirety yesterday afternoon. Another fantastic book.

Did you read the full unabridged version or the more modern version? I read the full one for my O’level and to be honest after a while there was a lot of nothing going on..The shorter version should be much better..

Im reading the time travellers wife at the  moment,I know its a film but OH wouldnt be able to follow all that jumping about in time so Im reading the book instead,

I read the unabridged version, cassandra. Funnily enough, I have also read “The Time Travellers Wife” many years ago.

I try to read all the classics and all the new novels on the market. I did read “The Barrytown Trilogy” by Roddy Doyle two months ago. It was easy to read. The plots are pretty simple to understand:

1. The Committments: about Dubliners forming a band
    2. The Snapper: about a girl that gets pregnant and won’t supply the father’s identity
    3. The Van: a Dublin family decide to open a fish & chip van. At the end the van is pushed into a river

Basic plots. Plus, I enjoyed reading these stories. But there is a LOT of swearing in “The Committments”: it’s “f*ck that, f*ck this” Still, it is a good book.

Another great book is “A Woman Of Substance” by Barbara Taylor Bradford. Do give it a read: you won’t regret it.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  KitKatKitty.

I read James Joyce’s book “Ulysses” yesterday. I took my time reading it, though: I didn’t speed-read.

Anyhow, “Ulysses” follows the lives of loads of people one-day in Dublin. James Joyce writes about loads of different characters who spend this particular day in a certain way. It is very well written and is worth reading slowly. I love the descriptions of the characters and how they are. I like the fact the story is like a medley of different stories: yet it all flows and fits.

I did read this book previously a few weeks ago. But I decided to re-read it yesterday. This is because I needed to get more of a grip on the book. My dad explained more about it to me and I needed to understand more of what he said.

I’d advise anyone read “Ulysses”. I read it twice in a week, just to get a grip on the book. Definitely don’t speed read this book: you need to read slowly to absorb the characters and situations and get the whole history of Dublin.

I am now reading the Jane Austen novel “Pride and Prejudice”.

I suppose I am going through the classics. Actually, my brother studied English Literature at university. He has a big plastic bin of all the books he studied. I am really enjoying working my way through them! This is because I just LOVE books. I also love publications.

I was addicted to reading women’s magazines for years and years. I read 100’s of back issues of Cosmo in the early 90’s. Cosmo had once been great. It’s lesser quality now. It is aimed for too young a market. These days I read “Good Housekeeping” instead. That seems boring, but actually it’s a really good magazine. I also love “Woman & Home”. I don’t buy the latter magazine every month but once every now and then.

Anyhow, Jane Austen shall live forever.

It’s funny how I sometimes put a book on one side thinking unfairly that I will find it hard going or will not enjoy it as much. At the moment I am reading another Agatha Christie -“The Seven Dials Mystery”. I have had one one side  George Orwell’s  “A Clergyman’s Daughter” and “Burmese Days” for a while. These would more regarded as classics I think as “Animal Farm” and “Nineteen Eighty Four” tend to be but I have sort of picked one up then chosen something else from the pile even though I know I will enjoy them.

1 member liked this post:

I make a point to finish every book I start reading. I am not bragging, though! I just feel I should always finish what I start. I am addicted to reading anyway, so this isn’t a problem for me. In fact, I still reading “Pride and Prejudice”. I am thoroughly enjoying it!

I finished reading “Pride and Prejudice” yesterday afternoon: it was brilliant!

It was interesting that Elizabeth had an ephiphany about Mr Darcy. She was so, so against him in the beginning – hence the title Pride and Prejudice – yet at the end she is besotted with him! We all know how the story goes, but it is a wonder how Elizabeth goes from hate to love. She really, really let him know how she felt. Yet at the end she declares her love and devotion for him.

A very interesting turn of events. I definitely will read it again.

Well I have just started reading George Orwell’s ‘Burmese Days’. Like Orwell’s works in general (at least those that I have read) it is different again but with his usual political and socialogical undertones. Although so far there is little violence, as such, it portrays the inground racism of empire, specifically British but perhaps generally European in the far east, such that many these days would not bear to read it.   A real eye opener, perhaps only glimpsed at more recently by those in the Uk from their view of apartheid in South Africa in more recent years.

I was taken by one small excerpt though as I can still see meaning there today:

“We seem to have no authority over the natives nowadays, with all these dreadful Reforms, and the insolence they learn from the newspapers. In some ways they are getting almost as bad as the lower classes at home”

Perhaps less obvious when taken in isolation out of the main text, and I don’t particularly quote that for it’s racism, although obviously it is there, but more for the range of meaning that can be taken from it which is perhaps still as valid today as it was in 1934 when the book was written.

Some, Ok many, would analyse Shakespear’s works for advanced study. I think I would prefer Orwell. I find a lot of meaning in his works.

1 member liked this post:

Well, in the past racism was – and I hate this word in this context – allowed: even acceptable. In Huckleberry Finn, of course the N word was used. Nowadays it isn’t allowed, but in the past that’s the way things were. So reading historical authors and poets you’re going to read racially offensive words. Even Rudyard Kipling had racist references in his work.

I think if you’re easily offended – and a person of colour – it is best not to read such work. But “The Colour Purple” is worth a read.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!