Upping My Mathematics Game

Female Forum Forums Category Related Discussion Work & Careers Upping My Mathematics Game

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  KitKatKitty 2 days, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I have bought myself a GCSE mathematics workbook.  It arrives in the post within the next few days.

I have decided to be an expert in maths and am starting at the near bottom. It is vital I learn the basics to progress. I have made achievements in my writing career but need a new challenge.

Mathematics here I come!

3 users liked this post:

Well done for challenging yourself.

Math is my nemisis…. As part of my dyslexia left right and numbers are a blind spot I have never fully conquered. I passed my math olevel and I managed my bookkeeping module for my business qualifications but beyond day to day stuff it is the subject I dread.

Well done from me too 🙂

My start in maths was very hit and miss and I was put into the lower set at school but then managed to find things fairly easy. I think it was the change in work and approach. I have ended up with a technical background with fairly advanced maths but it was not always easy. On one course though a friend relaxed me no end on saying that you put in the time, do the work and get the certificate. No worry or stress, just another job. It is not seeing things as a mountain to climb, just another interest to follow.

You can get there Kitty. One approach is to think of the maths like you would poetry. It can be artistic as there are patterns to things and symmetry (equality ‘=’) is the key to much of the work. I still feel feint when I see a board full of equations or a page full but a point to realise is that they are only another language. All the symbols have meaning, like letters or words in language, and, like a language in which long sentences can be simplified, so can mathematical equations. Don’t be afraid of them, use them like words and sentences. See things in a way that helps you rather than coptic script (to use an example).

There are a number of ways to get a better feeling of maths. As I love history one example I touch on from time to time is the history of maths. I love the fact that people like the ancient Egyptians used to use complex fractions as decimals were not thought of then. It’s making things interesting rather than daunting which can make all the difference. It just takes a bit of time to get into the feel.

Good luck x

1 member liked this post:

I have been using my mathematics workbook and love it. My dad is helping me with it and I am picking it up quickly.

I love mathematics.

2 users liked this post:

I am practising and practising. And rather getting a lot of satisfaction out of doing all those sums. I am definitely learning more. In fact, I see my whole life as a way of learning: without being in a classroom.

I find one useful way to approach things is to make it meaningful to normal life Kitty. It maybe makes me a bit nerdy at times but things like making quick calculations in my head in the supermarket about prices or totals and even glancing at TV game shows, answering maths questions. I don’t watch these avidly but occasionally see bits like the numbers game on Countdown. I occasionally do it in the time although my mental arithmetic is very slow.

I have been told I need to memorize my multiplication tables. I cannot do multiplying or division without knowing them. Oh: I also now know my decimals.

Just another instalment of my mathematical adventures!

I get to relearn math as my kids take it! I’m trying to make it practical or just fun, like giving an equation with porgs in it since they love Star Wars…

We like the Sir Cumference stories and we’re also trying Danica McKellar’s books. So far, stories are the best for making it all memorable, so I’d try creating a story for that multiplication table. Tourists in Paris times baguettes they buy while out sightseeing, perhaps? (Yes, I dream of visiting that city!)

I have finally mastered the multiplication sums. It took some time. I know I am taking my time, but I want to be 100% sure I’m getting my sums right. I do have to memorize the multiplication tables. Once I’ve done that, I am getting there. I know how to divide and how to move the decimal place, too. It is all becoming clear in my head.

Plus, being able to do basic maths without help is very important. You never know when you’ll need those skills. I have to now work on fractions and then algerbra. I am getting there. But I’m not in a hurry, anyway.

2 users liked this post:

Good progress Kitty. Hopefully it will become much easier to you. It is not that you will be able to do everything, more like you will realise that it is not impossible to learn what you need.

It is getting easier: it just takes time and practice. Although I’m in no hurry. I do carry out my math practices 4 to 5 days a week. I want to be thorough with what I’m doing. Knowing the basics – and not having to rely on a calculator – is important to me. Knowing the format of sums is essential. Plus, I like to be challenged mentally. I am on a quest for knowledge. Anyhow – as I’ve said – I am doing my math practices most days of the week.

I do believe in making things happen. Instead of moaning about being no good at mathematics I am being pro-active and learning my mathematics. We make our own destiny. It is like I always wanted to be a writer when I was young: so in later years I made it happen. If YOU want to be good at something, then be pro-active too: why not do something you’re not good at and see where it takes you? Perhaps instead of complaining about lack of skills, learn those skills. Don’t always do what you’re good at: do what you are bad at. And don’t give up.

I’m glad you like my post SpinningJen. I do often feel that a lot of people do feel they’re restricted in terms of dreams coming true. And many do also give up after the first hurdle. I did myself: I played guitar and was fairly good at it. But then I went on stage and messed up. I gave up the guitar after that. It was such a shame. Also – at school – I wanted to do media studies and music. But I didn’t believe in myself. I would’ve been brilliant at media studies, but I didn’t try. As a teenager – frankly – I did not believe in myself. It is only in later years after learning the computer and having my creative writing published that I realize I CAN make it happen. It is hard sometimes – especially with others jealousy – but I can live the life I want. I have done so in these ways, over the years:

1. I graduated from college
    2. I got my own apartment
    3. I held down the same job for over 10 years
    4. I had my poetry published by United Press
    5. I have my books published by major book publishers online
    6. I have travelled the world: Greece, Spain, Lanzarote, Sweden, Ireland… the list goes on
    7. I have been to the theatre many times
    8. I have been to the cinema many times
    9. I learnt to cook

I have achieved a LOT in my life. And I am still young. I’m not in my 70’s yet! And I have many more goals for myself. I shall always make it happen.

I’d love to read all your achievements and adventures too!

Write a list yourself guys! I think it’d make this thread sparkle.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!