Home » Topics » Category Related Discussion » Hobbies & Leisure » What are you reading?

What are you reading?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Let’s have a regular thread for sharing what we’re reading and if we like the books, magazines, graphic novels, etc. Feel free to put book recommendations here or in a separate thread if they should stand out more!

I’m reading too much at once, as usual. πŸ˜‰

Non-fiction: Play with Fire by Bianca Juarez Olthoff (good!), Take Back Your Life by Levi Lusko (excellent; with the older kids).

Fiction: Believe in Me (Love in Store #2) by Autumn Macarthur (okay so far), Star Trek (2009) novelisation (pretty good), Twisted Tales: Shakespeare Stories by Terry Deary (good, but I keep forgetting about this one), Mandie and the Ghost Bandits by Lois Gladys Leppard (good), Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery (excellent; with the older kids), Pies & Prejudice by Heather Vogel Frederick (love it!; with the younger boy), Prince Caspian (great; with the younger boy).

Magazine: Waiting for the next Star Trek magazine… πŸ˜€

Graphic Novel: Thinking of getting Star Trek Beyond one of these days. I also never finished one called The Time Museum, but the boys have it signed out of the library again, so maybe it’s time! πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰

Still with Ian Rankin – ‘Standing in Another Man’s Grave’.

Somewhat out of the blue though, I was in the book exchange yesterday and took to what is more a history book – ‘Fighter Pilot’ by Paul Richey DFC. This is a factual account of his experiences in France at the beginning of WWII. It’s not so much these days but I am interested in history and grew up surrounded by RAF stations with constant aerial activity. I was fascinated by flying. I have not read much yet but it appears to be written more in the English of the day (well it is an old book -copyrights between 1941 and 1980) with RAF terminology. Like Kitty I love English and like older text like this. Obviously too much of a feel for the violence is not so good but there is some older world charm. Just not to forget the horrors.

I am reading a Mills & Boon medical romance. I would’ve read “Lies Lies Lies” first but I just could not get through it. I’ll try again [after reading my Mills & Boon novel] but if I still get stuck I’ll just have to return it to the library unread. It seems a shame, though: Adele Parks is really good. I certainly will need a good 4 to 5 hours of the phone not ringing to read it.

Your post is interesting, SpinningJen: I have read many fictional stories about life in the 1st and 2nd world wars. That time period has fascinated the world since the world wars began and ended. I do enjoy reading these fictional stories. There is an older-world charm about them and there are some accurate historical facts written within them.

Do enjoy your book, SpinningJen: history is so valuable to know about. I know it’s older text, but that must add to its charms.

Finished Prince Caspian last night! Alex will likely pick TheΒ Voyage of the Dawn Treader next, though he doesn’t always take the Narnia books in order.

And I had forgotten in my tally of books that we’d started the first Betsy-Tacy book together recently (all of us). I read more of that this afternoon, and the imagination of the five-year old girls had the boys busting up in laughter. πŸ™‚

[quote quote=228029]Finished Prince Caspian last night! Alex will likely pick The Voyage of the Dawn Treader next, though he doesn’t always take the Narnia books in order.

[/quote]

I have the entire set of Narnia books, Im sending them to my granddaughter for easter. I hope she enjoys them as much as I did.

@SpinningJen
    I do like Ian Rankin as a writer and I have nearly all of the Rebus series. I do think it has to be read in English though , that feeling of melancholy that Rebus has just doesnt seem to translate.

After reading a few library books, I am back onto reading Adele Parks novel “Lies Lies Lies”. This time I will get through it. I shall be sitting down this afternoon – on the sofa – and becoming absorbed into the story.

I hope I enjoy reading another of Adele Parks’ gems!

As said in another thread, I finished reading Lies Lies Lies today. An excellent book. I am certainly glad I took the time this afternoon to fully enjoy another Adele Parks gem.

No books finished yesterday, but it doesn’t help that I’m falling asleep more quickly when I lay down at night. For a while there, I was reading for an hour or more without nodding off and actually staying up too long, but now it’s a half-hour or less. I’ll keep trying to sneak in a book or two during the day to help make some progress. I’m getting closer to the resolution of Mandie and the Ghost Bandits since I’ve got it near the table and read a little when it’s snack or meal time!

[quote quote=228032]

I do like Ian Rankin as a writer and I have nearly all of the Rebus series. I do think it has to be read in English though , that feeling of melancholy that Rebus has just doesnt seem to translate.

[/quote]

I know what you mean even though I have never seen any translations and would not be able to follow them anyway. I often used to wonder about some of the complexities of grammer of some other languages and how the locals would actually use them. For instance, one thought does occur to me with Italian. The Italians are a good example of people who use gestures to illustrate their communication. It’s not something I could read but do they incorporate this into their literature somehow? Obviously a people centred story without this input is only half a story.

I am reading the Christopher Pike book “The Immortal”. I read it before – years ago – but loved it so much I am reading it again. It is about a Greek goddess who is turned human and must learn her lesson. It is a very well written story and just has magic. If you’re interested in Greek mythology, you’d love this.

Christopher Pike is my favourite author since being a teenager. The first book I read of his was “Whisper Of Death”. That story had me in tears. I could relate to it deeply and I never forgot it.

Who is YOUR favourite author? Oh: I do also love Nancy Drew. I’d read her books in the school library, imagining I was her. Those books filled me with such excitement. And reading Nancy Drew between classes was my ritual. Even today those books fill me with nostalgia. Hence why I collect them.

I still enjoy Nancy Drew books! I forgot for a while how much, but then they came up in a series called Pumpkin Falls Mysteries and I had to get them from my mum’s house – there’d been an open offer for years to have the books, and I finally made room on my shelves. πŸ™‚

My all-time favourite authors are C.S. Lewis and Jane Austen. After them… well, it depends on the month or year, and the genre. πŸ˜‰

I finished Thicker Than Blood (CJ Darlington) last night. Not sure if I’ll read Book 2 of the series (Bound by Guilt) right away. I did get a book in the mail that I want to try. (It’s a collector’s item to me, since I didn’t know that a musician I liked in the 90’s had written his own novel. We’ll see how well it turned out! In the meantime, I bought a couple CDs of his that I still love. I back up my CDs as soon as I get them now, so I had the digital files to enjoy while walking today.)

We started a book called Tiger’s Nest for a read-aloud selection. It’s in a series called Explorer Academy and is from National Geographic. Very fun!

I’m also working on Book 4 of the Mandie series, which is Mandie and the Forbidden Attic. Cool title, and I think the mystery will be fun. I like how the author challenges the traditions of the times she writes about (early 1900’s) by having the girl very accepting of everyone, regardless of skin colour and class. It can be easier to use a younger character to question the way the adults do things and expect others to think the same as them… I’m always cheering for the girl to shake things up a bunch! πŸ™‚

You never know when a book will teach you about other books… We came across the phrase “prunes and prisms” in Anne of the Island, so (naturally) I went online to see what that meant. Now I totally understand the queen’s name being Prunaprimsia in Prince Caspian! (Always thought it was just because it flowed well, but there are multiple layers since she’s the Mrs. General of the Telmarine people in position as well as temperament…)

Speaking of Caspian, we’re getting closer to the end of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader for the youngest’s storytime. Today we read about the Dufflepuds. Love those chapters! It’s especially fun reading out the dialogue for the Chief and the others always agreeing with what he has to say. πŸ™‚

Nancy Drew books are brilliant, aren’t they Rebecca? I still read the odd one out of my collection. Nancy Drew books hold such nostalgia and memories. They are magical and everytime you read one of Nancy’s adventures, you don’t want the book to end.

My favourite Nancy Drew book is “Mystery At The Ski Jump”. Again, it holds many memories for me.

Out of curiosity, how many Nancy Drew books are in your collection Rebecca? I have around 12 books so far.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!