Home » Topics » Category Related Discussion » Hobbies & Leisure » What are you reading?

What are you reading?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author

[quote quote=228441]You never know when a book will teach you about other books…
    [/quote]
    I have come across that as sometimes novels quote passages from others. Not quite the same thing but the cross references can be interesting. You comment did remind me of paintings though. I love to see paintings that include paintings. This example I give is almost of that type but, slightly differently, includes the artist himself and another couple in a mirror which is similar: Las Meninas by Diego Velazquez – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Meninas

I love that painting!

I know it’s more than 12, but I’m not exactly sure. 25? I’ll check them soon and get back to you on that! I also have several Hardy Boys books Mum collected at the same time. They’re right with the Nancy books on the shelf.

Following on from ‘Fighter Pilot’ in which I learn’t quite a bit about how the ‘phoney war’ at the beginning of WWII may have been here in the Uk, but for the RAF and French air forces in France it was a bit more active, I have now found the book ‘A Spitfire Girl’ written by Melody Foreman. This book is the story of Mary Ellis (nee Wilkins) who worked with the Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA) during the war, delivering aeroplanes (including Spitfires) to the active airfields from the factories. It’s an interesting view and I am enjoying it.

I went to the library yesterday – by appointment, due the COVID-19 – and shall be reading the first book shortly.

The book you’re reading, SpinningJen, sounds fascinating. I have read so many [fictional] stories about the World Wars. But the stories are based on fact. So much went on in those world wars. It is certainly a time never to be forgotten. Strangely enough, my former friend Michael [whom I lost to dementia] said that head injury patients are treated so well by doctors and surgeons now because of knowledge about head injuries gained during the world wars. We also learnt about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. So many men came home scarred and beat their women because of PTSD. It wasn’t right, but there was a psychological reason for the violence so many women went through. Nowadays it is a recognised psychiatric illness, but women back then didn’t know that and couldn’t explain why their men used violence. They must’ve thought “Surely now he’s home, he should be relieved his war days are over.” But those war days never left his mind.

I realize I am coming to the defence of these men BUT they often did have PTSD*.

*As already stated, this is a psychiatric illness that soldiers – even today – go through.

It is now being realised that most anyone can suffer from PTSD. It comes with varying severity. Soldiers who have spent weeks under fire are the obvious case but any individual who has had a bad traumatic incident, such as violent mugging or rape, is just as likely to be suffering and take a long while to recover. It is probably occuring at lower levels with this covid thing due to the lockdown and fear of serious illness mentally affecting people such that a death in the family may push them over the limit. Not to forget that a soldier may be living with constant fear under siege conditions and a violent episode, or succession of them, with violent deaths is what pushes them over the edge. Many people here, at the moment, do seem to be living in constant fear. Maybe I am overdoing things a little but you perhaps get my thinking.

I help care for an elderly man hes 87, he was in what was then called Indo China (Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia) and he saw atrocities there that are worse than any film or story. His Vietnames wife was murdered for being a traitor and her unborn child cut from her belly. He found them when he returned to the house they lived in.

At that time there was no PTSD treatment but he suffers, his house is a mess with clutter and he suffers terrible nightmares he sees his comrades as they were when the died he sees his wife and she calls for him , screams for him to help her but he cant.

These nightmares are worse around new year when fireworks than sound like shelling trigger the memories he has held for so long.

He wont look for treatment now he says its part of him, but he tells me often that he thinks the dead are coming for him soon.

War has victims long after the shelling stops.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by cassandra.

It’s sad to hear that Cassandra. We would never want to be there but there are events that have happened through the years, even in Europe, in which similar has happened. It just shows how barbaric people can be when they think they have the upper hand.

[quote quote=228682]It’s sad to hear that Cassandra. We would never want to be there but there are events that have happened through the years, even in Europe, in which similar has happened. It just shows how barbaric people can be when they think they have the upper hand.

[/quote]

People are cruel I always think the veneer of civilisation is thin…

I have been to the Anne Frank house many times and to camp Westerbork a few times. Although Westerbork was just a transit camp and no one was gassed there walking trough the woods to the gates of the camp gave me a weird feeling , standing there looking at the train tracks bent upwards and broken symbolically saying they can never been used again is like have a hot stone weighing down your belly.

Its a beautiful calm place and yet its as if the fear and the sadness has stained it.  Or at least it was for me, incredibly emotional I dont think I could cope with one of the death camps yet I know people visit them  as if its another tourist attraction.

I’m going to try to pick up Play with Fire (Bianca Juarez Olthoff) more often during the week because I have another non-fiction book to read. Had to get it in ebook format for now, but with parenting books that are good, I sometimes get a paper copy too. This one is called Hunt, Gather, Parent. (And I’ve forgotten the author’s name. Oops!) I guess I’m not done collecting and reading all sorts of parenting tips and methods! 😉

I am reading through my pile of library books. I managed to finish the Agatha Raisin book “Something Borrowed: Someone Dead”. A brilliant, brilliant book. I have read loads of books in the detective series. In fact, the series has been made into a TV programme. It is really good: both in books and the TV.

I love light-hearted, slightly comical detective stories. Agatha Raisin is my favourite, though!

Have you tried The Cat Who books? There’s quite a bit of wit and humour, especially relating to the Siamese cats. And I love how the location is always undefinable, somewhere in the northern part of the state (I forget which one) but not quite so far north as Canada… 🙂

I’ve never heard of The Cat Who books: but now I have! I shall check them out on Amazon. I could request them from my local library, too. I absolutely LOVE books. I love cats, too. In fact, I adore cats. So your suggestion sounds right up my street!

Thank you, Rebecca.

I remember reading them when I was away from home on scholarship at a university. Felt like a good connection to home, since my mum was also discovering the novels then. 🙂

I finally finished a book called Twisted Tales: Shakespeare Stories. It was quite interesting!

Otherwise, we’ve been reading Star Trek magazines lately. 😀

ATM I am reading “The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

I am on the first chapter: it’s fabulous! I love how easy it is to read and understand. It is an incredibly interesting story to read and so well written. F. Scott Fitzgerald really knew his English. No wonder the book is famous and has been made into film.

I went to the library yesterday and will start on those books when I have finished reading The Great Gatsby. Books are my passion: and in my blood.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!