Home » Topics » General Discussion » Just for Fun » what did you learn today?

what did you learn today?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

a year on neptune lasts 165 earth years..

People with autism tend to deal with pica.

I often learn about factoids for non-personal reasons, but this one affects my family. Just when I think I’ve learned all the things that tend to go hand in hand with this disorder… No actual eating non-food items yet, so thank goodness my son told me about the urges first. While I wait to talk with the doctor, I’ll see if we can get a reward system set up for resisting those urges. If it’s emotional rather than a vitamin deficiency, we may need to restart counselling services and look for funding for more hours to have another adult in the house!

How tigers communicate in the wild.

Tigers are amazing animals: I watched a video on BBC Earth and these tigers are fabulous. HOWEVER, they had two cubs on a lead, which I did not approve of. AND they were taken from their mother in order to be tamed. Again, that seems cruel. Tigers are wild animals and should never be humanized. They are not fluffy housecats that you can pet and coo at. And I bet they have shown their wild instincts. Because their claws are very sharp – as are their teeth – and they do not like to be scared.

I could be wrong about this, but tigers do have wild instincts: even when tamed. And I do hope the owners took precautions in case the tigers turned on them.

[quote quote=228328]People with autism tend to deal with pica.

I often learn about factoids for non-personal reasons, but this one affects my family. Just when I think I’ve learned all the things that tend to go hand in hand with this disorder… No actual eating non-food items yet, so thank goodness my son told me about the urges first. While I wait to talk with the doctor, I’ll see if we can get a reward system set up for resisting those urges. If it’s emotional rather than a vitamin deficiency, we may need to restart counselling services and look for funding for more hours to have another adult in the house!

[/quote]

I was about to ask what pica was

but I guess you’ve answered that question!

still: how does  it work, and is it any object at all?. have you ever known anyone with it?

I’ve known people with autism. In fact, my close friend – Vicky – tried dating someone with the condition. What transpired was his mother telephoned Vicky to say the relationship was over: yes, really.

Vicky could not believe her boyfriend’s MOTHER would do the breakup for him. She vowed to never date someone with autism again. She now never dates anyone with a disability. I can see her point.

Autism is fairly common and there are different shades of the condition. A lady that used to help an old friend of mine has a daughter with a shade of autism. I assume there were hard times raising her daughter, but she did her best. It isn’t a tragic thing to have, though. In fact, it is reality for a lot of people. I’ve also met a lot of people who have a disability and they are fine. I have a good friend – Ryan – and he has Downs Syndrome, but I don’t even notice anymore. He is Ryan: end of story.

Just my penny’s worth.

[quote quote=228384]I’ve known people with autism. In fact, my close friend – Vicky – tried dating someone with the condition. What transpired was his mother telephoned Vicky to say the relationship was over: yes, really.

Vicky could not believe her boyfriend’s MOTHER would do the breakup for him. She vowed to never date someone with autism again. She now never dates anyone with a disability. I can see her point.

Autism is fairly common and there are different shades of the condition. A lady that used to help an old friend of mine has a daughter with a shade of autism. I assume there were hard times raising her daughter, but she did her best. It isn’t a tragic thing to have, though. In fact, it is reality for a lot of people. I’ve also met a lot of people who have a disability and they are fine. I have a good friend – Ryan – and he has Downs Syndrome, but I don’t even notice anymore. He is Ryan: end of story.

Just my penny’s worth.

[/quote]

Very short sighted of your friend to dismiss all people because of one.

Autism is a scale that ranges from slight social problems to being totally shut of in your own world mute and non communicating.

Both I and my son as well as my grandson are on the scale and we vary from the mild to the extreme, my grandson is 8 and non verbal. My son is highly intelligent but socially inept ,  I still had to go to GP and dental appointments with him well into his 20’s I didnt go into the consulting room but he hated the waiting room and the chit chat that goes on there,  he felt people were staring at him.

I dont like parties, I dont like the telephone and avoid calling if I can. I dont bond with people.

One of the reasons I dont mention Im on the scale is because of judgement from people.

As for PICA I think the most well known instances are with pregnant women who eat all sorts of inedible objects …

and that’s why stigma is a thing.

people saying oh.. I won’t date people with this, or I won’t associate with people  like that, or I don’t like this person because he/she has a certain issue, I don’t agree with it. I don’t know anything about autism, but I imagine it’s  like most things… it varies for diffrent people

I guess what I’m trying to say is: if someone came up to you and said I have this, it doesn’t mean everyone who has that thing has it to that extent

I’m severely incontinent, for example but their are plenty of people with varrying difficulty with it. I’m on a forum for it, and I can tell you that their’s everything from mild cases to super extreme

today I learned that the atlantic ocean covers 25% of the earth..

I certainly never discriminate anyone with any disability. Because there ARE various shades of autism – and other conditions – and that is the reality for so many people. I do know that Vicky perhaps made an unfair judgement on others by saying she’d never date anyone with autism again, but she still did make that decision. Although that is not to say it is right to judge all people like that.

Again, I never discriminate: I simply told the truth of what my friend said to me. I do know many people with a disability need their parent/s to assist them. In fact, I often need my dad’s help, even though I’m not autistic! It just really bothered Vicky that his mother broke up the relationship for him. She really felt angry and a little hurt. She never mentioned it to him or confronted him, though. She just knew she had to accept he had autism and move on. Vicky has a learning disability, so she knows how it feels to have a disability. She didn’t judge him: but she did feel a bit angry, actually. She didn’t stereotype him for the sake of stereotyping him.

I am still friends with him, because he IS a decent sort. I won’t date him myself, but he also moved on from Vicky and – from what I know – has had a few girlfriends. He certainly is not unpopular.

As far as pica goes, my research so far says that sometimes it’s a vitamin deficiency, which is how I’d heard of it while pregnant (though I never dealt with it myself). And sometimes it’s an emotional thing – possibly more likely this cause if you have a developmental disability… So we’ll see what the doctor says to do next.

In the meantime, the deal is that he can be rewarded for making the choice not to eat the non-food item when the urge strikes. Right now, he’s interested in learning to tie knots, so I’ll start him on a collection of shoelaces that he can use to tie and untie! If that gets less appealing, we’ll find another object. Probably not food, because food rewards cause their own issues…

I learned something when I watched my second show of the night (which is lots more TV than I see when the kiddos are home). I chose the second episode of Coastal Railways with Julie Walters, and now I know that lobster females are hens and lobster males are cocks. Had no idea before! (And despite living on Canada’s east coast for a handful of years, I have never tried eating lobster! Silly me, that would have been the best time, eh?)

Also, I know that I want to visit Alnwick, for a visit to Barter Books! I was drooling over all the stacks of books on the screen… And since I’d never heard the story of the Keep Calm poster, that was also something I learned. Going to share a YouTube video about it with the kids for school next week. 😀

[quote quote=228424]

Also, I know that I want to visit Alnwick, for a visit to Barter Books! I was drooling over all the stacks of books on the screen… And since I’d never heard the story of the Keep Calm poster, that was also something I learned. Going to share a YouTube video about it with the kids for school next week.

[/quote]

I learned something too! I looked up ‘Barter Books’ and found that they have a website: https://www.barterbooks.co.uk/ . I have never been but would like to visit too. There is lots of interesting information.

It did remind me of another station I visited a few years ago. There is a small seconhand bookshop there which had some unusual books. Perhaps not big enough to travel far to visit but well wrth popping in if passing:

https://friendsofwemyssbaystation.co.uk/

I learned that, for one of her wedding presents, queen victoria got a giant wheel of cheddar cheese

not my ideal gift, but if she liked cheese…

I learned today that even the toughest times are temporary…each day is a new day to “work the problem.”  I came out of today a lot better than I did yesterday!

I don’t know if you’re familiar with comedienne and actress, Amy Schumer.  She recently married a James Beard award-winning chef who is on the autism spectrum.  I’m not sure exactly where, but I believe he may have some form of Asperger’s Syndrome.  I would think that it requires a unique mindset to deal with autistic adults in spousal relationships…different than a child, for sure.  I hope all is going well with them and their young son, Gene.  (noooo…I don’t read the gossip rags, but I did watch “Amy Learns to Cook.”)

I did wonder who Amy Schumer was a few months ago. She is fabulous, now I recognise her. It is great that she looks normal – and pretty – and is such a positive role model. She’s obviously got brains. I did hear of her cookery programme. It is a shame I never watched it! But Amy is a top woman.

It does take a certain type of person to deal with autism: whether as a parent or partner. I do know how common autism is. It is just a side to someone’s personality at the end of the day. And there are many plus points of people who do have the condition. It is not all bad or doom and gloom! If you like someone, it could be because they have autism. For instance, they may be fun and funny and honest: and all other types of personality traits.

When two people fit together, two people fit together.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!