What do you think of cheerleading? Would you let your kids become cheerleaders?

Female Forum Forums General Discussion General Chat What do you think of cheerleading? Would you let your kids become cheerleaders?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  KitKatKitty 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Back when I went to High School in the 90s it was a popularity and beauty contest. Now it seems more like a sport.

Would you let your kids join? Or is it sexist?

Here is what the average American school cheerleader looks like.
    https://coralspringsconnection.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/img_0758.jpg?w=816

2 users liked this post:

My son did gymnastics , my daughter played tennis, my eldest son had cookery lessons.

If they wanted to follow a sport I would have let them but if they just wanted to primp and preen themselves for the adoration of others no..

1 member liked this post:

I would allow – even encourage – any daughter of mine to follow her dreams. And if that means being a cheerleader, so be it! Young people should always be encouraged to follow their heart’s desire and never be stifled. Because dreams CAN come true.

A wonderful photo. Very beautiful.

An interesting question as I have one son and a stepson who, although my stepson had his moments (and still has) where never so inclined. My son even actively avoids standing out. That said, I would probably have been well into it myself as I like to keep active. Back in my late teens and early twenties I was often the one to get up onto an empty dance floor and show off my latest routines to very mixed responses LOL. I love dancing although don’t get much chance these days, and remember looking at the cheerleaders over there and wishing I could do it. A good way to keep fit! I think if someone is of a mind for primping and preening they will anyway, but if it is not otherwise hampering their development why not. As Kitty says – I would allow a daughter to follow her dreams, but keeping good guidance.

I must admit, I don’t agree with parents who tell their children what to do in the world of education: some parents push their son/daughter to be a doctor, say, when he/she really has no interest in that field. OK, parents helping their children make their dreams come true is wonderful – and maybe being a doctor is right for that young person – but no one should ever be told they can’t do a college course they are interested in. If someone hates mathematics, they should never be encouraged to forget what they do love – English, say – and do mathematics instead. If a young person has an interest in something, they should be told it’s OK to do well – not just excel – in that field.

For instance, I love English and computing. And – considering this is my life – I have chosen to excel in these fields. NO ONE has the right to say I can’t do creative writing or that I should’ve studied something else instead. English is my favourite subject and that is my dream. And I believe this should apply to all children, young people and young adults AND adults.

Follow your dreams, children.

It’s interesting you say that Kitty as I was a little sad when my son chaged from his univerity course after the first year from medicine to philosophy. We had never pushed him in any way though, but medicine was something to be proud of. In the end he got his degree and is now a qualified accountant working in local government so has made us proud of his progress. They do need support but you also need to gradually let go.

We say ‘birds must fly fish must swim’ ie they must do what they must do.

My son realy wanted to be a chef and inspite of his ADHD and dyslexia he passed catering collage and started work, at which point his food allergies which had been limited to a very mild reaction to one or two items flared up and made it impossible for him to pursue his dream. He tried working in other jobs here but with little sucess because he had no qualifications for anything other than cooking. Then he saw a job and I will never forget the day that he said ‘mum Ive been offered a job , its great pay and its for an English Dutch speaker..’ ..I sensed the but.. ‘But its in Dublin’ he said

My heart broke but I hugged him and said ‘birds must fly and so must you.’ So he went and he has made a big sucess of himself , he is now an IT global manager for an international company and just today he arrived in Orlando to give several lectures to employees there.

His next trip is India and then Beijing. Who are we to stop our children from spreading their wings? I feel its our job to be there and catch them if they fall but to give them every chance to fly.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  cassandra.
    2 users liked this post:

It is good that your son followed his heart, SpinningJen and switched to a subject he wanted to do. I have no knowledge of your family, but do think he was honest with himself and let himself decide what was right for him, university course wise. Because everyone has their own wants and needs and I believe a person should choose for themself. Medicine is something to be proud of, I agree. But philosophy must’ve been where his heart lay.

Still, I don’t know anything about your family. But it is good that you’re proud of your son. He certainly has done well for himself.

Thank you Kitty! His course included ethics as well. He always enjoyed making a good case LOL. Thinking back – we always did love talking deeply over issues. It’s something I like doing and it probably passed to him.

Back when I went to high school, it was more about beauty and popularity.  Now, it takes a lot of talent and athleticism to do some of the things they do. As you said, Hailey, it qualifies as a sport…and, if one isn’t careful, a dangerous one at that.  I just read an interesting article on CNN about high school sports with the highest concussion rates, and I guessed right about cheerleading before I even finished the article.

These high school sports have the highest concussion rates

Be that as it may, I would let my daughter pursue whatever makes her happy.  If that is cheerleading, so be it.

I was never sporty at school. My idea of exercise is walking to the fridge. I have never liked sports or physical activity. I tried to be that person: I did that by going to the gym for a few weeks. I didn’t carry on with that. I went to one dance class and knew it wasn’t for me, so left the course. I really have tried to be active and sporty, but I can’t be someone I’m not. I even tried yoga: again, I didn’t continue with it.

Sports are great, but I never watch them. I never do things like that. I never will, either.

To sports: no one can be someone they’re not. I am definitely no athlete. But many young people are into sports and that’s wonderful. And I do also think a person should be true to oneself: not choose subjects at school/college/university that they “should” choose. I wish I had chosen Media Studies at school, but I didn’t. I also wish I’d done the typing course there. As it turns out – from years of using my computer – I am excellent at typing and really good with media.

I wish I had been encouraged to follow my heart as a teenager. Emotional support is so, so important.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!