what's for dinner?

Female Forum Forums General Discussion General Chat what's for dinner?

This topic contains 158 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  rebeccajpanda 21 hours, 14 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 159 total)
  • Author

Today Im using the IP to make a ham joint Im going to cook in in apple juice for extra flavour and tenderness.

Our Christmas dinner will be made entirely in the air fryers. Roast chicken breast filled with sun dreid tomatoe and mozerella cheese roast potatos and parsnips..

For a long time I held off on an air fryer I kept seeing adverts for them but always showing people making chips or other snack foods and I dont eat that stuff so I didnt understand that chips (fries) are only the most well known thing you can use it for. But roast veggies and meats small pies lasange etc are all fantastic and quick from the air fryer.

I have not got an air fryer but have just looked up. I will have to investigate further after Christmas.

I am looking forward to Guinea fowl with potatoes, roast potatoes and parsnips plus brussel sprouts on Christmas day.  We tend to be fairly traditional.

1 member liked this post:

Today is pasta (probably rotini) for supper, with steamed carrots.

That means lunch will likely be soup left from yesterday (chicken noodle or pea soup, the favorite flavours in this house).

mcdonalds

usually have it on friday, but since I’m going to be having christmas turkey this week…

A friend mentioned A&W last night, and now I want a burger and fries… Maybe for lunch on Thursday when my guys go to spend the night with their dad – cheaper to buy just for me… 😉

Tonight will probably be meatballs and veggies. I’m also trying to make room in the fridge-freezer for a couple of frozen pizzas I want to buy for another day, so I may use up some spring rolls that have been in there too long. Good time to clean out at the end of the year…

toad in the hole today

Today I will have my fish and chips one day early as they won’t be open tomorrow lol. I need to get to the butcher for the Christmas meat and prepare a little for tomorrow though. I have no stuffing but will be adventurous and make my own from defrosted deconstructed sausages from the freezer and herbs and spices with perhaps mushroom and sundried tomatoes.

We often have burgers on Christmas Eve, but my guys will be away with their dad, so I moved that to Wednesday’s meal. For My Christmas Eve supper, I’ll either have leftovers or a salad. Christmas Day, we’re having pizza because the guys wanted to have their holiday dinner on Saturday, when we’re doing our Christmas together.

Confusing? It’s the life of split households, I suppose, but I don’t mind. I’d rather have to shift holidays than still live with an emotional abuser! I often feel bad the guys still have to deal with him, but at least it’s a different dynamic than being married to him. And when they are adults, they can choose whether to spend time with him…

It’s difficult to judge whether that is good or bad Rebecca but I suppose, like most things, there is good and bad. I hope things go well x

We’ve made it to “2nd Christmas” here at our house! I’m looking forward to ham tonight. And the cupcakes, too – I’m a dessert person! I suppose Sunday will be leftovers, then we’ll be back to normal dinner for Monday.

I didn’t make a dessert for Christmas dinner, per se.  For the first time ever, I tried my hand at hot buttered rum.  That was richer than any serving of any dessert I’ve ever made!  We’ll have leftovers, of course.  Tonight, I’ll try hot toddies, they seem to be less rich.

Oh, I had been wanting to ask you, Cassandra…

In previous posts, you mentioned your recently purchased Instant Pot and air fryer…and more recently extolling the virtues of the AF.  Are these two separate appliances, or did you buy the IP with an AF lid?  At the time I purchased my IP, they didn’t make another lid for it, and I’ve been curious about it, hoping the AF lids would go on sale.  Only the entire ensemble went on sale for Christmas.

Oh, I had been wanting to ask you, Cassandra…

In previous posts, you mentioned your recently purchased Instant Pot and air fryer…and more recently extolling the virtues of the AF. Are these two separate appliances, or did you buy the IP with an AF lid? At the time I purchased my IP, they didn’t make another lid for it, and I’ve been curious about it, hoping the AF lids would go on sale. Only the entire ensemble went on sale for Christmas.

Hi there , Mine are two seperate applicances ..Ive had an airfryer (or two) for a few years now . Officially the IP isnt even sold in Netherlands so we ordered ours via Amazon.uk but with a Dutch plug..The AR lid isnt availble to order anywhere here.

Its madness, there are no Dutch cookbooks for IP or any Dutch information about them so its all a bit hit and miss.

Mind you I made a chicken teriaki style meal and yesterday a beef  Rendang and both were brilliant I just guessed at timing based on old pressure cooker times. I have ordered a cookbook though and once that gets here I should have a better idea of what Im doing,, Cant wait to make yougurt..

Thanks for the reply, Cassandra.  It truly is an amazing appliance.  I’ve always known about the virtues of pressure cooking.  Unfortunately, I had been too chicken to try it.  I had visions of explosions and pasta sauce on the ceiling!  When the IP came around, I thought it was just a fad.  Once it became pretty mainstream, I decided it was idiot-proof enough for even me to try it.

This summer, friends of ours had a small, socially-distanced, outdoor gathering (pot luck).  One of the couples brought perfect Crème Brûlées made in the IP.  They made them in individual aluminum containers and kept them cold.  Once everyone was ready for dessert, they sprinkled the sugar and fired up the mini torch they had brought with them.

Tonight is pasta here. It’s been a while since we made linguine, so I think that’ll be the choice. I usually pair the whole wheat pasta with steamed carrots – everyone loves them, plus I found that the youngest could use cooked carrots to keep things moving in the digestive system!

After the holidays, I’m tempted to keep adding dessert to the meals, but we usually stick to a weekend-only guideline for desserts so that we eat healthier. I grew up with lots of sweets since my dad loves them, but they are actually more special when we don’t have them all the time!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 159 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!