Home » Topics » General Discussion » General Chat » Why are we so afraid of cartoon violence nowadays?

Why are we so afraid of cartoon violence nowadays?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I remember back in the day there were cartoons like this

Now we have this

There is still some good stuff on streaming

Why have we become afraid to tell epic sci fi and fantasy adventures?

I wish I knew.

I do look forward to reading everyone’s thoughts on this, though: it is an intriguing question with many answers.

I wasn’t aware I was :/

I wasn’t into those aforementioned cartoons.  However, I was into Looney Toons, some of which were also later deemed “violent.”

Like Wile E. Coyote’s multiple “violent” demises…by his own hand, I might add.  Speedy Gonzales, as well as Mr. Magoo were later deemed “politically incorrect” due to Speedy being Mexican and Mr. Magoo being blind.  Where does it end?

I saw an episode of ‘Family Guy’ last night in which Foghorn Leghorn got his head chopped off. In some ways it seemed far more violent than the continuous ‘blast the baddie’ shoot em up games. The deadpan action and blood, which (the blood) was never really obvious in the original Loony Tunes. I think cartoons like these, eg The Simpsons, Family Guy or American Dad, are somewhat an evolution from Loony Tunes. One big difference is the change from animals characterised as humans to humans with extreme characteristics. Except for in some ways perhaps in the ‘Forrest Gump’ film would an audience appreciate the manner of ‘Huckleberry Hound’ now?

It’s interesting Test that Wile E Coyote still has  quite a bit of a following here as well as Bugs Bunny. To the softer side I do wonder if Mickey Mouse would die a death if it were not for Disney advertising.

I suppose “Family Guy” is an aquired taste. If someone thinks it’s funny, then that is their prerogative. I wouldn’t watch it myself, though.

Cartoon violence is cartoon violence to me: in other words it is still just a cartoon in my eyes. But I do appreciate a lot of people would find “Family Guy” shocking. What affects one badly does not always affect the other. It is as it is to myself, personally. But I do think young adults and children are easily influenced and this does often worry parents. Maybe with good reason.

Just a few pennies to add to the thought box.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!