Why have men lost their love of space and space battle?

Female Forum Forums General Discussion General Chat Why have men lost their love of space and space battle?

This topic contains 28 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  KitKatKitty 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Yes Jen I wish I had kept some of my mimidresses, I don’t know if I could still get in them though lol.

HI kitty, some of the leading space scientists from the sixties and seventies were women, a little known fact that that has only really just come to light when one of them recently died. The focus was always on men when talking about space and women were kept in the background.

Im not sure if you have seen this film but its really good and so frustrating. It tells the story of the women who had a roll in the US space program and how they were ignored and hidden away from the public eye.

1 member liked this post:

Cassandra, that was an excellent movie!  Just as disturbing was the fact that there were “white” and “colored” bathrooms at that time, and she had her own separate coffee urn.

Ás a netflix sci-fi /space travel  show I can recommend Travellers.. It takes one or two episodes to really get into it but then its addictive and the twist at the end is great.

I haven’t watched these clips yet, but I shall soon. They look awesome.

I have to say, Star Trek will always be the best! From the very first series to the more modern episodes. The films are brilliant, too.

I have to say, Star Trek will always be the best! From the very first series to the more modern episodes. The films are brilliant, too.

Star trek Beyond with Chris Pine was on TV here Saturday evening. Even though weve seen it at the cinema of course we sat back with some popcorn and enjoyed it again.

I have seen the occasional Star Trek film recently but my last major watch was when my son got me Star Trek Discovery Season One box set on DVD. When I watched it it had me thinking back to earlier series. I was, and still am, a big fan.

@SpinningJen I’ve watched Discovery I have to say wasn’t one of my favorites I had liked Enterprise with Captain Archer that was ok but Discovery got two political for my liking and Star Trek shouldn’t be political. I am looking forward to seeing pickard the new series with Patrick Stewart my goodness that man has a voice that could make describing paint dry sound sexy.

I have never been interested in Star Trek or anything concerning space travel. IMO we should get things right on this planet before we try to conquer another. My husband who was actually a part of the whole space race right after college, isn’t interested in it today and was never into space fantasy.

I have never been interested in Star Trek or anything concerning space travel. IMO we should get things right on this planet before we try to conquer another. My husband who was actually a part of the whole space race right after college, isn’t interested in it today and was never into space fantasy.

Much of the reason that fantasy space adventure is appealing is because it allows us to escape the worries of this planets problems.

I agree that real space expeditions to Mars or anywhere else should be halted until we have really come up with a solution to our problems here..

Your own choice of words ‘to conquer’ is one of the main reasons why humans should be kept firmly here on the earth, the fact is they are not ready to explore just to conquer as white man did to the outlying areas of this world proclaiming the natives to be savages even though it was them who bought the savagery.

I have a few ideas of how we could save our world but they are very draconian and I know no government would introduce them unilaterally because any cuts in population or oil based travel would see their position weakend and the war hungry nations of the world might see any faltering as a chance for them to take over. So realistically I think we are doomed,  trapped by our own greed. There will never be a Starfleet utopia where  money is no longer used and ambition is driven purely by the wish to be the best person one can be.

When we finally wipe each other out maybe the earth will be able to recover and if there is life out there they can use us as a text book example of how not to treat each other.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  cassandra.

I think you’re right in a number of aspects, cassandra: there will never be a starfleet utopia where money is no longer used. I also think that when we wipe ourselves out through our greed and abuse of the planet, the earth will regenerate. It did that when the dinosaurs were eradicated. Because the earth will always spin in orbit. The earth will find a way, because life always finds a way.

I also think we will make it to Mars. I know we should look at earth first, but the mission to mars is paramount to taking the human race out of the solar system and into the universe. Obviously earth is very important, but the human race must advance its technology. And by doing so, will also advance our ways to save the planet. Such as when recycling became the fashion/when trees were replaced with seeds on cut down trees/with renewable energy sources/with the advancement of the computer. The list goes on.

We WILL save earth AND go to Mars.

Look at the current situation. The Earth is saving itself as we are not able to agree. Perhaps an over simplification but there are aspects of truth in it.

The earth will always save itself. The earth was there millions of years before the human race evolved and will be here long after we are gone. Life always finds a way. And whether or not we go to Mars is subjective. Because a lot of people believe we will be there one-day. And I do think that the human race is advancing steadily into space travel. Nothing can stop that progress. AND we are learning a lot about earth from our studies of and from space. We are also learning a lot about molecular science, dark matter, dark energy, etc. Our knowledge will save our planet from destruction: like using computers instead of paper – therefore saving our trees – and solar energy instead of power stations and also electric cars. The list goes on.

I don’t mean to sound patronizing but those are what I think and know.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!