Why We give out our phone number

Female Forum Forums General Discussion A Woman’s View Why We give out our phone number

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Mellow Yellow 2 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

A male friend of mine asked about something that keeps happening to him that he doesn’t understand. On three occasions women he was attracted to voluntarily gave them their phone number and then never answered the phone or texts. Again to be clear he was interested in them but never asked for their number. They, and in one case, insisted he take it, and then never responded. He finally got her to answer the phone and when he asked her why she wouldn’t answer, she replied that “she was in a relationship.” When he asked why she insisted he take her number she had no answer and hung up.

Any ideas?

I would be careful with these phone numbers as it could be a scam of some form.

1 member liked this post:

I think sometimes it’s a case of feeling needed or valued that people ask for phone numbers despite knowing they will never want to be contacted. A bit sad really.

I think we sometimes give guys our number after a date so he goes away happy thinking he has ” pulled ” just so he will not make a scene if we reject him on the spot. Even though we will not contact him again, I would feel vulnerable in that situation would have given him mine even if I did not fancy him.

mikki may be right. As awful as it sounds, it makes sense. However, I do not agree with women/men who do so: it just makes false promises. And it is hurtful. Still, if the person has no manners, then they’re not worth bothering with. Good riddence to bad rubbish, as they say.

No I am not sure I was clear. The woman gave him the phone number when he didn’t ask for it and then she texted him the next day that she was into him and then … never responded again.

Ah I see, are we not strange us women, no wonder men think we are illogical.

I’ve had that done to me by another woman, too.  A few years back, I attended a concert at a bar.  I was sitting at a table alone, when I was recognized by a (then) former coworker who then sat at my table with a few girlfriends.  For some reason, she gave me her number unsolicited.  Thinking she wanted me to call her for some reason, I left a voicemail a couple of days later.  She never returned my call…no big loss since I never was that friendly with her, anyhow.

Things that make you go, “Hmmmmm.”

I think people are taken in with the situation they are in. In the cold light of day feelings change. It can be the same with email too.

You’ve probably been saved, TestDummyC. Better she never returned your call than phoning back and being a difficult friend. Still, it does bug a person. If she didn’t want to be your friend she should not have given you her number in the first place. False promises.

I am one to never give my phone number out to a guy on a first date. That being said I have been in a relationship with the same guy for going on 3 years now. What I do and actually did with my current boyfriend is wait for them to give me their number and if they do and I feel like the date went well I will call them, if not the phone number is thrown away and it is over. If I do decide to call the guy as I did with my current boyfriend then he can get my phone number on caller ID or I can verbally give it to him then. This way it is fully on my terms.

I like your post Mellow, if a guy offers you his number you can take it and decide later whether to ring him or not. This means you did not promise him to get in touch and then let him down.

2 users liked this post:

I like your post Mellow, if a guy offers you his number you can take it and decide later whether to ring him or not. This means you did not promise him to get in touch and then let him down.

Yeah, there really isn’t any pressure either way with it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!