Womens mags?

Female Forum Forums General Discussion General Chat Womens mags?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  lisaann1213 6 days, 13 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Just a thought…I know my nan loved her womens own or womens weekly or something it had knitting patterens in it !

I’ve never been one to buy them but I do flick through when at the dentist /hospital/gp. But I have to say they all seem so conflicting. They tell you on one page to love yourself , be yourself, stand tall and proud and on the next page they encourage you to go on a diet so you can look your best for that halloween/Christmas party thats looming, what happened to loving yourself and being proud?  Then theres all the ads for wrinkle creams and make up as if without them we look like death warmed up.

I didnt see any real articles at all in the ones I’ve flicked through which included a couple of international big names as well as a couple of national smaller types.

So does anyone still buy the traditional womans mag and why? What attracts you to them? Or are you all like me who only sees them while in a waiting room?

1 member liked this post:

I am like you Cassandra. I only read them when in waiting rooms, although I do occasionally glance in the shops. A few years ago I decided that it was far better to save the money I would spend on mags, and buy a good book instead. They are not generally full of adverts which are a waste of space.

2 users liked this post:

I used to read a lot of women’s magazines. I’d read “Woman & Home”, “Good Housekeeping”, “Cosmopolitan”, “Glamour”, the odd issue of “Red”, and “Marie Claire” every month. I do have to say I agree about the conflicting messages these magazines present: like how to love yourself and stand tall and then the next page saying what diet to go on to fit into a dress for the New Year. For after Christmas the magazines do plug the diet adverts. And during Christmas there are recipes for chocolate cake, Christmas pudding and other desserts. The woman is supposed to lovingly prepare all this food, yet not eat that food herself. And, if she does, she should go on the magazine’s diet in the New Year. There are also all the anti-wrinkle creams being plugged. It is all advertizing, basically. And there are a lot of conflicting messages, also about how to be the perfect mother and yet a career woman at the same time. It is all very confusing for the woman and there is an awful lot of pressure presented in these magazines.

2 users liked this post:

I don’t buy the women’s magazines. I typically pick up People, Rolling Stone, Time, Sunset or Colorado Springs Style when waiting at my doctor’s or dentist’s office.

Interesting post this, I think said mags just pray on women’s insecurities about life, clothes, make-up, hair and guys. We are always trying to look trendy and slim because it is expected in a male dominated society. I do dress for myself if it gets nice comments so much the better and like most women I feel good wearing a nice dress and smelling good as well.

I read InStyle, People Style Watch and Lucky as my most favorite for lastest fashion and beauty trends. enjoy reading about others trails and tribulations also

I’ve never really read any magazines at all, I guess it just wasn’t something I was really exposed to or interested in.  I’ve always enjoyed reading articles online, but I’ve never really stuck to a particular site or anything, I just sort of click on links that look intriguing.

It’s not just women’s magazines…sigh.  In America we have these stupid things called Hallmark Movies which promote unrealistic expectations of what women are supposed to look like and be like if they’re going to find “true love.”  The actresses are all pretty stick figures in makeup and the men are either young and a little goofy but super built or older and ruggedly handsome.  The women all wear super expensive designer clothes and have exotic jobs.  It’s hard to compete with what you see on TV and they make it seem so easy.  But I get your point…you want to see more mags with practical things like recipies, sewing ideas, housekeeping tips, decorating ideas and the like, like our mums used to have and yet  you go to the newsstand and see a bright pink cover of COSMO with some overly made up tart with the caption, “Improve Your Sex Life in 7 Days.”  I hardly read magazines these days for just this reason.  Every solution to every issue is treated in a cookie cutter fashion with absolutely no regard that women are different.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  lisaann1213.

@lisaann1213.  those films sound awful.

For the reasons you listed I have never bought womens magazines. I really wish there was a bit of an all round magazine that covered handy consumer tips, a few DIY tips (we dont all have a handy partner or the money to hire someone) as well as some tradtional skills such as house decorating or recipes. The nearest I see to that is one we have here called Northern living which is a very country life type of thing it has gardening tips and ideas of what to do with  fruit and veg as well as gift ideas and the best type of welly boot to buy although I can understand this would not suit everyone..

the continuous make up clothes and slimming really annoy me though as if we are all still stepford wives

3 users liked this post:

There is really background to this as during the Second World War there was the ‘Make do and mend’ and all the cooking tips. I love to read the old pamflets and there are one or two books about with these compiled. Most of the recipes and tips would not be relevant now, but the idea behind them is interesting and useful. I supose the nearest we get though are some of the useful video’s on Youtube.

2 users liked this post:

I agree with all your posts. I don’t have much to add, but would also like there to be more down-to-earth, practical magazines. I do also think Cosmo was much better years back. Now most of the articles are about sex and dodgy dates and foundation plugs. The soul has gone. I miss my sister’s old Cosmo magazines: I used to read them one-after-one and loved them. It is sad.

There is really background to this as during the Second World War there was the ‘Make do and mend’ and all the cooking tips. I love to read the old pamflets and there are one or two books about with these compiled. Most of the recipes and tips would not be relevant now, but the idea behind them is interesting and useful. I supose the nearest we get though are some of the useful video’s on Youtube.

I agree it would be nice to have women’s mags targeted towards those who are single.  A clogged sink won’t fix itself nor can you afford to hire someone every time you need to assemble something or do a quick fix.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!