Women's Voices

Female Forum Forums General Discussion General Chat Women's Voices

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  mikki 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Good evening Ladies,

What do you think about a woman’s public and/or private voice? Do women have the right to be heard? Specifically, do you feel you are heard by those around you; other women, your children, your husband, other men in your life, do they really hear you? Do they patronize you? Do they take your points and perspectives seriously and consider your opinions worth listening to? What does this look like?

I am in the U.S. and I find that these answers are mixed. Some still feel a woman’s place is in the home, that they should not be allowed in the public sphere of discourse or in politics. On the other hand, there are those who feel women should be running things (everything!) due to our more naturally (or socialized) relational nature. Of course, these opinions are on a long, complicated spectrum most feeling somewhere in between these two extremes.

Many women are taught from childhood that we should be subservient to men. That we are less than our male counterparts because of a religious hierarchy set forth by a Supreme Being and according to this mindset should keep our voices lowered and subjugate our views to men.  I wonder what other women think of this state of things.

The last question… do you think this is an important issue for women? Should we care that our personal or collective voices are heard or not heard? Should we just accept the state of the world as a patriarchal place and try to fit in where we can?

I look forward to hearing your replies.

Tanya

1 member liked this post:

I do think every woman has the right to be heard and to have a voice. If you look at women like Hilary Clinton and Theresa May, they are women with a voice: and have been labelled a b*tch by some. If a man stands up and vocalizes his opinion, he is seen as a strong, powerful and important man. If a woman does so, she is seen as big headed, above her station and a b*tch. Women ARE taught that men are the strong sex and they do all the hard jobs. BUT women are becoming more equal to men as the decades go on. We have the right to vote, we get our education, we are getting jobs as managers and bosses, so there is change. But we still need to push on and show men we deserve respect and have a right to a voice.

well I notice it most in staff meetings our company has. Six or 7 men and me- the only woman at the table. They have louder/deeper voices and frequently just talk over me ignoring the fact that my idea may have merit too. And then there is the dress code for women- Men I’m told don’t need a dress code to tell them how to dress for business.  But women must wear dress’es or suits, arms covered, limited jewelry, heels, and hemlines at or below the knee. Being tall, I have trouble with this one as my hem is usually above the knee. What really bothers me is that we should have a dress code at all.

I used to work for a female CEO and she was only one of  three females on the Board. She used to treat the men like school boys and it seemed to work, even sending them to the corner to sit on a chair. She soon got their respect and most importantly their ears.

2 users liked this post:

I used to work in the NHS here. By and large everyone was treated equally. It was generally a relaxed atmosphere between male and female, although there were some (both male and female) who were adapt at using their sterotypes to get their way. The dress code covered both men and women, and didn’t particularly specify the sexes so women would wear trouser suits or skirts, but obviously not too short (could be above the knee though). Theoretically men could too although I suspect that would not go down too well 😄 There were limitations as things like nail varnish could not be worn in clinical areas and, if a uniform had to be worn for the job, it had to conform to local standards.

I could live with that code Jen. But then the NHS is a huge organization whereas we are a very small family business based in Edinburgh. Very conservative, male dominated of course. The fact is that my wardrobe is already very conservative by my choice. It just irritates me that somebody is checking.

I 100% believe that women should be using their voices. Everyone has the right to be heard and speak up for what is right and fair. In some cases, it is easier said than done, but I have seen far too many instances where women are letting opportunities slip away from them because of that fear of speaking up.

I have felt that as a woman I’ve always had to work harder to gain respect in the workplace. I always felt a need to work harder to prove myself because if I didn’t I wouldn’t be taken seriously enough. From my personal experience, using my voice has gained me respect that I’ve needed to advance. In career transitions, I’ve never been afraid to negotiate my salary. I’m not saying that every single time I’ve gotten exactly what I wanted, but I always ended up with more than what we started with.

Everyone’s situation is different. I realize that not every woman gets fulfilment from professional achievements such as what my journey has been. I know plenty of women who get their fulfillment from being full-time mothers and this is the only job they ever wish to have. Whatever their reality may be, women should always be empowered to use their voices. You never know the outcome until you try.

You’re right: everyone needs to stand up for what is right and fair. There are many women too afraid to use their voice: but with a little courage and support, they could stand up for themselves. And if they are called a b*tch they’ll be able to say they are not so, but are people with a voice.

Times are certainly changing my husband treats me with total respect and I feel lucky to have him as I see other couples where the man just orders his wife about like some lackey. Also children are always the wife’s responsibility in a lot of marriages, not in ours I hasten to add. I look forward to a time when we are truly equal in all things.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!