You don't know best!

Female Forum Forums General Discussion General Chat You don't know best!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Chatterbox 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hey

Well I just got back from the US immigration service office as I had to have my fingerprints and photo taken for my green card. I had to fill out a form that asked me what country I was a citizen of, so I put ‘UK’.

As the woman was typing it into the computer I saw it came up with ‘Ukraine’ when she typed in UK, so I told her that I am not from the Ukraine. She asked what my country of citizenship was, so again I said the UK. She said it wasn’t and that I should have put down ‘England’.

I wanted to tell her that it is impossible to be an English citizen, and to show her that no mention of ‘England’ is made in my passport, but thought better of it. So, because the US says so, I am now an English citizen rather than a British citizen.

I am glad that’s all cleared up!

Actually martin we always put English when asked our nationality, anyone can be British these days but you have to be born here to be English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish. Its always been our cry in the wilderness, won’t go into OH and passport control at stansted. Suffice to say I have managed to stop him arguing that he is not European but ENGLISH!!!!!!!! Victor Meldrew eat your heart out 😆

Sure, I understand but putting English down as your nationality is technically incorrect. There is no English, Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish passport – only a British passport given to UK citizens.

So are you saying everyone would be listed as English, or that they would list the different nationalities within the UK?

Cos it’s be a cold day in hell before I was called English 😆

(Nothing against the English I hasten to add, I’m just not one of them lol)

Don’t have a problem being ‘British’ for passport purposes though 🙂

But you see squeezy, you are passionate about being Scottish, as I am about being English, I don’t want to be called a European. I’ve been English for a long time and certainly don’t want to change now just because Brussels says we have to!!

Ah, so nice to see that Immigration Departments are just as full of red tape and idiocies in other parts of the world as they are here, I can tell you that they have caused me many sleepless nights.

The stories I could tell, I really should write a book about how to deal with emigrating to Australia.

But you see squeezy, you are passionate about being Scottish, as I am about being English, I don’t want to be called a European. I’ve been English for a long time and certainly don’t want to change now just because Brussels says we have to!!

Oh I’m with you on that one

I’m not keen on being called European – talk about just lumping everyone in together!!

What shit me here in Aus was having to have Australian citizenship to stay in my job. Not that I have a problem with citizenship itself but that we came here in the late 1960’s, and didn’t have to have citizenship as the children of the parents who imigrated and my Mum as the spouse who applied for imigration – or something like that anyway, I never really understood it. Anyways, previous to this I was a British citizen and came over on my father’s passport, so never had one of my own. I didn’t intend on travelling overseas or anything at the time so I had no probs becoming an Aussie citizen and not really understanding the process or what it really meant I went ahead and became an Aussie Cit for the sake of my job. I never had any problems getting the citizenship as it was more of a formality because of when we’d first come here. But what they didn’t tell me or ever explain was that I could have had dual citizenship! So I could have still been a British citizen and an Aussie one and been able to stay in Britain if I’d so chosen to later on. My understanding is now I can’t.

Sure, I understand but putting English down as your nationality is technically incorrect. There is no English, Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish passport – only a British passport given to UK citizens.

It is just crazy Martin and these sort of things make me really cross. I’m assuming its because some git didn’t add ‘British’ to program and no one else probably knows how to add it in now. So the ludicrousy of it all is now all UK citz are somewhat illegally put down as English even when as you say technically its wrong and probably officially as well!

Its that same old, same old that is the real deal these days – COMPUTER SAYS NO and the humans don’t get a say! Drives me batty!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!