Home » Topics » General Discussion » General Chat » Young drivers

Young drivers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Just recently there was near fatal accident where I live as the result of a young drivers sheer stupidity. He was 18 years old, and his passengers were 18 and 16. He flew down a hill not far from me, where there is a very sharp bend, lost control on the hill, crashed into a newly built wall and totally demolished it, and flew across the other side of the road and ended up upside down. As a result of this they are now seriously hurt with head and neck injuries.
    Why are some young people so reckless? They are usually driving a fairly small car like a fiesta, or a clio, something like that. They have their “music” , and I use that term loosly because to me it,s just noise, blaring out of the car. How they can possibly concentrate on driving with that noise booming in their ears is beyond me. They simply don,t pay attention, drive way too fast and this is what happens.
    It,s no wonder that insurance premiums for youngsters are so high, and why some insurers refuse to insure any drivers under 25. As soon as they pass their test they think they,re Michael Shumacher. In fact as I was typing this, a young driver flew up my road. It sounded as if he must have been doing at least 50 miles an hour. What is wrong with these kids? More importantly, what should the government do about it? Do you think the age you can take driving lessons should be raised? I think it,s still 17, but it,s been so many years since I took mine I,m not 100% sure. There are countless adverts on the telly, all showing the consequences of reckless driving yet none of it seems to sink in with these kids; why? 3 kids could have died. What a senseless waste of 3 young lives that would have been.

It really is scary but I have seen my fair share of older drivers who seem to think the public roads are a racetrack. I don’t know what solution there is to this problem – they already pay over the odds for insurance but that affects all young drivers; not just the reckless.

I am glad I don’t have children yet as I would be worried sick as soon as they start driving.

bab

I know for a fact I am going to be terrified when my kids are old enough to start driving. It’s so dangerous just to be on the road these days, let alone when you have no experience and are often driving an old car with few safety features. I dread to think of them wanting a motorbike or scooter – that would be even worse.

I am a 20 year old driver so not sure if this counts as a ‘young driver’. I think I am very safe on the roads, and far safer than many people who are older than me. I pay a huge premium for insurance, which makes me drive even more carefully – one accident and I would never be able to get reinsured.

I know there are a lot of young wreckless drivers out there, but there are many safe ones too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!